[VoiceOps] TNS SS7 Outage

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Thu Jan 20 00:28:08 EST 2022

That's really odd for all of your SS7 services to go down because
carriers typically connect to 2 A-links which are backed up by 2
D-links. So there are a total of 4 STPs (Signaling Transfer Points)
programmed to back each other up. It could be down for one of two
reasons.

In the SS7 network, each switch is assigned a unique point code (9 digit
number that identifies the switch location). In order for the ISUP
trunks to work, the SS7 provider has to establish a route between your
switch and the other carrier's switch. To make it a little easier to
understand let's pretend you have a switch in CA and you are connecting
it to 3 of AT&Ts San Francisco tandems. If each switch had the following
point code assignments:

Your switch's point code: 005-123-456
San Francisco tandem: 222-000-111
Oakland tandem: 222-000-222
Santa Rosa tandem: 222-000-333

Then your SS7 provider would build 3 point code routes:
Your switch 005-123-456 to AT&T San Francisco tandem 222-000-111
Your switch 005-123-456 to AT&T Oakland tandem 222-000-222
Your switch 005-123-456 to AT&T Santa Rosa tandem 222-000-333

When your customer makes a call that is served by the Oakland tandem,
the call would be routed over the 005-123-456 to 222-000-222 route set.
If your links work but the call doesn't complete either your route set
failed for some reason, or either AT&T's SS7 links or trunks went down.
I'd ask them where the failure occurred.

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969
Cell: 615-796-1111