[VoiceOps] STI-CA average pricing

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Mon Jun 6 14:45:59 EDT 2022

On 2022-06-03 22:22, Nathan Anderson wrote:
> To put my response to this pricing in context, we are a relatively small regional broadband provider, and voice is a fraction of a fraction of our business.  I'd wager just about everyone else here has a larger voice subscriber base than we do, and most of you probably didn't blink when you saw the price-tag on what it would take to become part of the STIR/SHAKEN ecosystem...just the cost of doing business, right?

The telco I work for is rural, starting 75 years ago with party lines,
etc.  Telephone is still very important to us, but of course, Internet
is where more of the action is these days.  We still operate our own
telephony switches geographically placed throughout our network and take
pride in being able to withstand all sorts of failure scenarios.  That
is to say, we are still investing a lot of resources to maintain a good
telephone experience for our subscribers.

And yet, we still fell out of chairs when we saw just how much money
various vendors were charging for the various portions of the
STIR/SHAKEN implementation.

Just the cost of doing business, you ask?  I feel that vendors realize
that this is something we are being FORCED into, and can charge accordingly.