[VoiceOps] T-Mobile SMS Non-Compliance Fines - A Violation of the TCPA / Section 230?

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Wed Dec 20 15:27:36 EST 2023

OK, how have any of you successfully implemented automated tools that
successfully block "Unwanted Content" such as SHAFT and Phishing with very
low false positive rates? And if so, how, or are you using a service, or
are you hoping that your carrier, such as Bandwidth, will protect you
sufficiently?

If it gets past your carrier's filters, and your own automated attempts to
limit the Unwanted Content, and reaches T-Mobile, and someone complains,
are you just planning on paying the fine? Or will you pass it on to your
customer, who might not be who they say they are, and won't pay the fine?

Has anyone on-list had T-Mobile attempt to levy a fine for Messaging
Content against them? If so, how did that go?

Our TOS obviously prohibits such usage, and we put a fair amount of effort
in AUTOMATED monitoring for and shutting down any violations as proactively
as we can, being a small business without tons of technical resources to
pass every SMS and Full Conversation through ChatGPT to get its opinion if
the content seems like a Social Engineering attempt.

And sure, in hindsight anyone looking at a conversation after the fact can
see a pattern that might be phishing.

How is **EVERY CARRIER** small and large supposed to implement this without
incurring thousands of dollars in costs to do so?

And yes, you can say "Just don't send to T-Mobile then" but we all know
that blocking an entire US Wireless Carrier is not a saleable service to
customers.

Beckman