[VoiceOps] Alarm panels and how they dial DTMF digits - pots migration from DMS to Metaswitch issue

Matthew Yaklin myaklin at firstlight.net
Mon Feb 13 16:40:34 EST 2023

On 2/13/23 13:20, Matthew Yaklin wrote:

> ----- ADTRAN went straight to examining the dialing-plan in the TA5000 when I shared my config with them for those exact reasons. We both agreed since digits were missing in the middle in many cases this was probably not a dialing-plan issue or DTMF/pulse dial issue. They signed off on our config as proper.

Does the Adtran detect pulse dialing? That might be an option if the alarm panel can be configured for it.

-------- The fire alarm panel guy is not helpful at all. If we asked him to change it to pulse dialing, he just shouts back at us it worked on the DMS. It is very difficult to get coherent information from him but then maybe there is really nothing for him to modify in his panel configuration? Early on he replaced a "dialer" in one of them but since then we do not get much cooperation.

Is it just one make and model of alarm panel that fails? Do the tones sound off or different with a butt-set bridged in monitor mode? See if someone local has a SAGE 930A that you can borrow, that will definitely tell you if the DTMF is in spec.

-------- So far I know of at least two different models by different manufacturers. Unless one company just happens to own all these brands now days and keeps them going it does appear to be different models. The tones sound decent via a crappy butt set speaker but happen very very quickly. I am talking less than 2 seconds to dial. Someone else mentioned specialized gear to analyze this better. The thing is the Metaswitch gives me basic analysis when I view SAS in engineering mode. I see the duration of the tone, time between tones, etc.. so I do have some basic information to go on. But yes, I am unable to figure out what is going on when I have a period of time where I expect two DTMF digits but the meta sees nothing.

-------- I will be honest. I doubt I can get specialized gear before the company sends out letters saying you have 2 months to find a new provider.

Matt

Jay Hennigan - jay at west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880