[VoiceOps] Update on STIR/SHAKEN

Mary Lou Carey marylou at backuptelecom.com
Wed Jul 12 16:29:23 EDT 2023

I spoke with my FCC contact today and was told to read the last order
issued in March so his response wasn't crystal clear. He said the FCC is
still in the process of deciding which types of companies can sign with
a third-party vendor's token and which ones can't.

I told him my concern is that the ITG is going to start blocking traffic
in August and companies won't know that they aren't compliant because
their wholesale provider told them they were fine. I specifically asked,
"If the ITG decides a company should have had its own token, will you
give them time to get one?" He said they have a process for handling
these issues, but he didn't come out and say "Yes" so here's what I
would suggest since the process can sometimes take longer than the 30
days they give you to comply.

If you are using a third-party provider whose signing with their token.
At least complete the preliminary steps to qualify for your own
STIR/SHAKEN token. That way if they do come to you and tell you that you
need to get it on a moment's notice, you won't be fighting the clock so
much. The pre-requisites for filing with the STI-PA to become an
approved carrier are:

1. Order your own OCN (aka company code from NECA) IPES is the correct
type for all VOIP carriers
2. Have your 499 up to date and fees paid. If you've never filed a 499A
yet, get your 499 filer ID and submit your first 499-A. (All carriers
delivering long-distance traffic in the US should have already completed
this step anyways).
3. Robocall Mitigation Plan filed.

There are multiple companies helping carriers get their STIR/SHAKEN
certificate, so it doesn't matter if you use my services or anyone
else's. I just want to make sure everyone is aware of what they need to
do to make sure their traffic doesn't get blocked because thats a lot
harder to fix than getting a certificate/token is!

MARY LOU CAREY
BackUP Telecom Consulting
Office: 615-791-9969
Cell: 615-796-1111