[VoiceOps] All carriers must get their STIR/SHAKEN certificate by June 30th!

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Jun 2 02:52:51 EDT 2023

David Frankel wrote:

> Not wanting to be bamboozled, the FCC quickly (in FCC-time) cleverly
> shortens the "small provider" extension period from 2 years to 1 for
> "non-facilities based providers."

Others who have been around and read past posts of mine here might call me a broken record on this point, and of course my quarrel isn't with you.  But it's hard for me to let such a comment go by without observing yet again that this "clever" action of theirs pissed me off more than most other things they've done, and there is a lot for me to be pissed off about re: FCC over the past few years...

I work for a very small company.  As a result, I wear many hats.  And there is a lot of work to go around, and responsibilities are spread fairly thinly.  When the FCC initially told us that we had until end of June 2023 to get our STIR/SHAKEN house in order, I took them at their word, and budgeted my time and resources accordingly.  It is *not* my fault that *they* misread the situation, or failed to anticipate how some bad actors might take advantage of this: they gave us a deadline, and they should have honored that original promise.  Instead, I had to drop nearly everything in order to push our own deployment up by an entire year.

How does the saying go?  "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."  But of course, since they hold all the cards, we are in a position with them where that proverb doesn't apply.

> There is no question that the landscape has changed over the past several
> years. Service providers (and resellers) now have more obligations and more
> responsibilities and more ways they might be subjected to a service-blocking
> situation or an enforcement action than in the old days. It is more
> expensive and more complicated and requires more (regulatory) expertise to
> operate in the voice telecom space than it used to.

Indeed.  And this is to the detriment of that space.

-- Nathan