[VoiceOps] All carriers must get their STIR/SHAKEN certificate by June 30th!

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Tue Jun 6 20:53:40 EDT 2023

Also note that not all OCN types are accepted by STI-PA.  Whatever OCN you supply to them MUST be of one of the types "that is eligible for Numbering Resource assignments" (page 3 @ https://authenticate.iconectiv.com/sites/authenticate/files/2021-10/Service_Provider_Guidelines_Issue_6.pdf).

So, for example, none of the reseller OCN types (e.g., LRSL) would be eligible.

NECA provides a list of specific OCN types that are eligible for numbering resources here: https://www.neca.org/business-solutions/company-codes/company-code-request-instructions

They list IPES among them, of course, but with the note that it's "only permitted with an FCC waiver".

I believe it was this chain of logic (STI-PA only allows specific OCN types, NECA lists them, IPES is among them but specifically says you must get an FCC waiver) that led me to conclude that the FCC numbering authorization waiver was *still a requirement* specifically if you were going the *IPES* route.  I have not been able to find anything that specifically exempts / rescinds this requirement.

Note that you don't have to actually *have* or even *seek* your own numbering resources.  You just have to be *eligible* to do so.  The OCN type you have been granted serves as proof to the STI-PA that this is the case.

-- Nathan