[VoiceOps] IPAWS/FEMA National Test - VoWIFI

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Wed Oct 4 19:33:28 EDT 2023

...huh.

https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2021/10/255719-securing-the-wireless-emergency-alerts-system/fulltext

Guess it is delivered over a separate interface to the MME than SMS would be.

Kinda boggles the mind that "WEA over IMS" isn't a thing.

Perhaps it's an issue of scalability?  WEA messages over NAS presumably doesn't require that much overhead: MME sends the message out to all eNBs, who in turn I'd guess would just indiscriminately transmit it to all attached UEs.  More broadcast-y than unicast-y.  Whereas I guess an IMS-based solution would require the CSCF to enumerate all active registrations and then transmit a SIP message individually to each subscriber, one-by-one.

Still, the lack of at least some IP-based way of accomplishing this seems like a huge oversight, especially in an age where it seems like more people (especially in more rural areas) are more reliant on VoWiFi than ever before in order to have any use whatsoever of their mobile voice service while at home.

-- Nathan