[VoiceOps] SS7 Landscape

Mike Johnston mjohnston at wiktel.com
Tue Oct 24 17:45:59 EDT 2023

On 2023-10-24 15:11, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Recommend\don't recommend?
> Anything to watch out for?
>
> The offer I got was attractive, but not everything that's attractive
> is what it seems.

We used to have Onvoy/Inteliquent SS7 via TDM, which was reliable.  Two
A-Links, to two geographically diverse STPs.  When faults did occur, it
was almost always with a carrier in the middle (e.g., a fiber cut).

We are trying to move away from T1s.  But some telcos that we
interconnect with have not yet realized the benefits of SIP.  As such,
we still need SS7, in some form or another.  Also, our LNP lookups are
over SS7.

Several months ago we migrated to SIGTRAN, staying with Inteliquent, now
called Sinch.  They helped us through the migration process, which went
quite smooth overall.

The IP connections are over VPN tunnels, to two geographically diverse
VPN endpoints.  We connect to two geographically diverse STPs through
those VPN tunnels (one STP per VPN tunnel).  One thing that I don't
like, though, is that the VPN endpoints are not located near the STPs.
The STPs are located somewhat near me (same state & next state over),
but the VPN endpoints are multiple states away, meaning the IP traffic
trombones around the US.  This has not caused us any actual problems,
though.

In general, yes, I would recommend Inteliquent/Since for SS7/SIGTRAN.
They have been good to us, and reliable.

Note: I was not involved in any of the money conversations.  Just the
technical conversations.