[VoiceOps] Request to block number?

David Breakey david at teraquant.com
Thu Sep 21 17:12:34 EDT 2023

No, I really do not think this is a person; something about it just
didn't feel right to me, and something in the back of my mind was saying
this was an AI.

    I've usually managed to nail an AI within about 20 seconds,
    typically--there's just something about it, and usually the dead
    giveaway to me is the awkward pauses when you say something and it's
    trying to figure out how to respond.

    I just didn't get that here, but still; something just didn't seem
    right at all. I think part of it was that his responses were just
    too even; too measured. Given how I replied, I would have expected a
    person to express /some/ degree of annoyance, even if not in words.

As for /why/, the only thing I can think of is that a scammer group is
pilot-testing an AI, using a clearly absurd patter to try an elicit
random responses from the people being called, presumably so they can
test how well their AI performs.

Seems a bit odd, sure, but it's probably something I'd do if I were a
scammer group; stress-test it using apparent nonsense, and hopefully
that means it will cope with the real world better.

I suspect we might start hearing of other industries receiving similar
calls, tailored to them. Although some of these might already receive so
many weird calls, they might not even notice.