[VoiceOps] Fax

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Fri Apr 19 13:30:22 EDT 2024

If you mean actually *offering* the e-fax solution in lieu of a
"fax-compatible" analog/FXS port off of an ATA, and not just shooing the client
off to someone else to get their fax needs fulfilled, that to me just sounds
like more work.  The e-fax server naturally needs to interconnect with POTS
somehow to do what it needs to do, and unless your e-fax server is directly
wired up to some multi-channel TDM circuit, you are still going to have to deal
with T.38 to/from the e-fax server.  So you haven't actually eliminated that
part of the equation, though arguably it's easier to guarantee stable IP
service to a single server or server cluster that's sitting in a data center
somewhere, rather than be concerned with the quality of the internet connection
to each and every client.  But now you are having to maintain another server
and another service.  (If you are already doing the hosted-PBX thing, then
perhaps maintaining yet another service in The Cloud(tm) is no big deal,
though.)