[VoiceOps] KYC Verification

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Fri Mar 1 02:07:01 EST 2024

On Thu, Feb 29, 2024 at 10:44:20AM -0800, Calvin E. via VoiceOps wrote:
> A complication here is that it's an extra telephone number privacy service,
> and blocking VPN users is becoming another  point of "signup friction". Any
> KYC solution we implement won't be able to assume anything from GeoIP
> lookup. For example, one of our North America subscribers had no idea their
> VPN service was reaching us from Saudi Arabia and Armenia.

I guess I'm not sure what your reason is for KYC here.  Do you feel like it's needed by some regulation?  Are you providing phone numbers in countries whose laws require ID if you register a phone number there?

> A further complication is free users that don't provide any billing
> information.

How do they use your service?  Do they have to install a specific app?  Is it only available from the App Store or Play Store?  There might be billing-info-like properties if so.

> What's the minimum and maximum effort others are putting in to filter out
> the Donald Ducks and Scooby-Doos?

If you believe there's something required by regulation, then I'd look to the text of the regulation (ideally with a lawyer) to see what efforts that regulation requires.  But I also wonder if you're looking for KYC as a proxy for fraud mitigation, in which case the solutions will be much different.  You can definitely do successful fraud mitigation without any KYC (e.g. where your customers pay with anonymous cryptocurrency or cash).

Denver
https://jmp.chat/