[VoiceOps] One Way Audio - Frontier Comm (Los Angeles area)

Pinchas Neiman neimanpinchas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 10:29:22 EDT 2024

I have (on a rural area DSL line) a desk phone registered directly on line
1, and line 2 over the VPN, whenever someone on line 1 tells me I couldn't
hear you well, I am saying calling you back with another line, every time
they will respond immediately Ah. Now your voice is much better.
TCP connections are also much more reliable over the VPN than direct.
I am using WG over UDP with MTU 80 bytes lower than the worst case general
MTU.

I digged through my issue, and found that some hops in my long list of
local hops (last mile/s) are very unreliable, and not responding when they
drop (crime #1) a big packet even if DF was set (crime #2), so best for me
was to have wireguard do the fragmentation on my side, as well as signal to
the TCP connections to lower their MSS automatically.
In other cases a VPN will also be able to patch TCP issues related to
asymmetric routing, or firewall timeouts.

To be noted,
#1 VPN device CPU should be fast enough to do the packaging, as there is
usually no hardware assistance for the VPN prepackaging.. a good gigabit
router could easily become a source of latency when it involves something
more than passing/nating packets between ports
#2 having a VPN without adjusting the MTU (either manually or
automatically) will increase packet loss, this is the source of the myth
that VPN is a overhead for VOIP

My understanding in networking may be flawed but this is my practical
experience accumulated so far.

On Sat, Mar 9, 2024 at 4:00 PM Alex Balashov via VoiceOps <
voiceops at voiceops.org> wrote:

> No, it's true, consider me appropriately humbled. I underappreciated the
> nuance of this issue. I thought we were talking about something closer to
> the physicality of networks, not packet inspection/filtering/etc.
>
> -- Alex

> usually end up putting them into VPNs, TLS, etc.
> >
> > AB> VPNs and TLS make last-mile networks more reliable? :-)
> >
> > on the vpn side, wireguard (which runs over udp) certainly does.
> >
> > I imagine ipsec sometimes can, too.  but wg is easier.
> >
> > -JimC
> > --
> > James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com>
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Principal Consultant
> Evariste Systems LLC
> Web: https://evaristesys.com
> Tel: +1-706-510-6800

*Pinchas S. Neiman*
Software Engineer At ESEQ Technology Corp.
845.213.1229 #2