[VoiceOps] Fax

Nathan Anderson nathana at fsr.com
Sat May 25 01:18:01 EDT 2024

Disclaimer: I have only ever deep-dived into T.38, and not into either T.37 or
the HTTPS-based systems.

That said, my understanding is that T.37 specifically deals with faxing via
e-mail.  So if the transport mechanism doesn't involve e-mail on one or both
ends, then it's not T.37.  Typically, the fax machines on both sides would have
ethernet connectivity and built-in T.37 support: you would enter in an e-mail
address rather than a phone # as a destination when sending, and the sending
fax machine would construct an e-mail message formatted in a particular way as
defined by the T.37 spec with a TIFF attachment, send that e-mail via standard
SMTP, and the receiving fax machine would eventually receive the e-mail and
print the attachment out, just as if it had received the document over a phone
line.  The whole process avoids the PSTN entirely.  It's technically
store-and-forward since one or more e-mail servers in the middle are
necessarily involved.  There is optionally a provision for a PSTN-to-email
gateway to allow for faxes to be sent and received between a terminal with
native T.37 support and a PSTN-attached terminal.

The solution FaxBack pitches with its "HTTPS ATAs" is not T.37, nor (obviously)
is it T.38, either.  I don't believe there is a standard that governs it, but
it's also not a FaxBack-proprietary protocol, either.  It's a solution they
bought off the shelf from AudioCodes.  It's definitely proprietary to
AudioCodes, but any provider who wants to offer a similar service can deploy
these same ATAs to their customers.  Like T.37, it is also store-and-forward;
it just doesn't use e-mail as the transport/proxy method, but is rather pushing
or pulling documents from a bespoke server.  Specifically, the ATA is
communicating with a web server in a data center, running the AudioCodes Fax
Connector server software (https://www.faxata.com/FaxConnector.html).  It
appears as if Fax Connector itself has the ability to gateway between T.37 and
the AudioCodes ATAs, which may be how you friend concluded that this is a T.37
solution.  But strictly speaking, the "call" leg between the ATA attached to
the analog fax terminal and the Fax Connector server is not T.37.

FaxBack might provide both T.38 transport/gatewaying as well as this AudioCodes
HTTPS thing; it's not 100% clear to me at the brief glance I've had at their
offerings.  They do have this white paper from 2006, which spends time the
real-time capabilities of T.38 over and above "store and forward" solutions (
http://www.faxback.com/Resources/WhitePapers/BoardlessFaxingWhitepaper.pdf),
but then they also have this page on "why HTTPS Fax Connections are better" (
https://faxback.com/Solutions/HttpsFax.aspx) where they throw T.38 under the
bus.  I'm not really sure if their position has evolved due to first-hand
experience, or if they are talking out of two sides of their mouth; heh.

-- Nathan