Re: [nsp] cryout

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Fri May 03 2002 - 14:25:16 EDT

Hi,

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 02:02:04PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> > IT's more than shame for Cisco Systems.... have to change platform ?
>
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/rt/4000m/prodlit/1107_pp.htm
>
> "However, support of all Cisco IOS feature sets in IOS release 12.2M on the
> 4500/4500-M can not be guaranteed because of increases in the IOS code size,
> and the 32MB maximum amount of DRAM memory available on these platforms."

Which is not a good excuse for basic stuff like isdn dialup in "ip only"
features crashing the box (and if I understand KF right, this is what is
actually happening).

> You were warned 2 years ago.

... and 12.2M support *was promised*, so I expect people to actually
expect this to work.

While 12.2T wasn't supposed to be working, IPv6 was announced for 12.1,
so "no 12.2T on 4700" would not have been a problem then. The fact that
it got delayed long enough to make a decent customer aggregation
platform obsolete in the mean time sheds unfriendly light on the
situation, though.

> The 4xxx platform has been effectively dead for years anyways.

Ours still work nicely, and we'd be willing to purchase $$$ IP Plus images
to get IPv6 to them... (hello cisco! *waving money*!)

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from *Ripe42 in Amsterdam*