[nsp] FDDI packet discards

From: Sackman, Ron (rsackman@lucent.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 20:40:54 EDT

Hello,

We are seeing packet discards from a couple of devices on our
FDDI ring. Here is a brief description:

1. We have two HP-UX application servers connected directly
     to our FDDI ring

2. We have a Cisco router (7200 series, I believe) with a FDDI
     module also connected to the ring.

3. The MTU on the router is set to 4470

4. The MTU on the HP-UX servers is set to 4352

The HP-UX servers are dropping roughly 5% of the total packets
they receive. We believe this is due to the mismatch in MTU size.

Has anyone encountered this problem before? Is the MTU size
mismatch the cause of the discards?

Thanks!
Ron

Ron Sackman, MSEE, CCNP, MCSE, MCP+I
Distinguished Member of Consulting Staff
Lucent Worldwide Services
email: rsackman@lucent.com
pager: 888-935-7896