[nsp] QOS policy shaping

From: Roy Reyes (rreyes@commverge.com)
Date: Tue May 07 2002 - 23:30:23 EDT

Guys,

Im doing some QOS Policy shaping in the Catalyst 6500 Switch to configure the traffic management of our clients on our Catalyst 6509 with MSFC2/PFC.

Our objective is to set a committed-rate of bandwidth with an option to burst as needed.

Currently, clients are VLANed and connected via FastEthernet having a bandwidth of 100Mbps. We implement trunking as well. Our Objective is to limit its traffic as follows:

1 Limit to 64 Kbps only

2. Limit to 64Kbps with an option to burst at 128 when 80% of the bandwith is used up already

To sum it all, it should work like that of a frame relay.

I also noticed that in able to sustain a 64K of bandwidth you would need to configure 16K of burst rate. Is the sustainable rate of 64K at Catalyst 6500 is the same with the Frame-relay traffic shaping of 64K with no burst? How will I configure the FR 64K with no burst in Catalyst 6500?

rgds,

rreyes