Re: [nsp] Re[2]: Which IOS

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Thu May 23 2002 - 18:22:50 EDT

Hi,

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:08:45AM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> Have any suggestions for improvement on our code recommendation process? I'm a
> team lead in Advanced Services :)

<slightly off-topic rant>
My personal request would be "make bug reporting easier".

Right now, there is now way to get even the most easily reproduceable bug
fixed unless opening a TAC case. Which requires a support contract for
*this* *specific* piece of hardware. Which scales linearily if you have
<n> identical pieces of hardware, which is ridiculous.

Yes, I've talked to our sales reps about more creative models, like "pay
some base fee for each family you want to get service on, then pay per
incident, and if it turns out that it was a Cisco bug, the incident is
free". But they say "Marketing is not interested".

So what happens is that lots of good people don't report their bugs to
Cisco but play try-and-error until they find an IOS version that works
(or find a workaround) instead of being able to help fixing that stuff.
</slightly off-topic rant>

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de