Re: [nsp] RSP/VIP performance question

From: Deepak Jain (deepak@ai.net)
Date: Tue Sep 07 1999 - 14:54:37 EDT

A Vip2-50 has an RSP4 on it, a VIP2-40 has an RSP2 on it.

In a VIP installation, the RSP4 on the CPU module only does BGP updates
and any legacy CX style cards.

You usually need a VIP2-50 for a PA that needs lots of CPU, say the
channelized OC3/OC12 interface.

The VIP cards also do dCEF and which is very cool at reducing CPU
utilization on your main CPU.

Each VIP should have at least 128MB of RAM if you want to run dCEF and a
full BGP view. (IMO, 64MB is probably the real minimum).

Deepak Jain
AiNET