Re: BGP routing questions

From: Alex Bligh (amb@gxn.net)
Date: Fri Oct 01 1999 - 15:28:57 EDT

> To influence OUTBOUND traffic to the internet to take one router
> over another (regardless of which router the traffic came in) I would
> tweak BGP preferences such as local pref

Yes

> metric

No, assuming you use two different providers. Cisco only compare
metric between routes heard from the *same* AS.

> etc using route maps and such.

Yes.

> Is that a fair summarization and grasp of the concept?

-ish. Localpref is the easiest and cleanest way to do this, IMHO.

The other thing to remember is tweaking your *inbound* traffic
is much harder.

--
Alex Bligh
GX Networks (formerly Xara Networks)