Re: [nsp] basement multihoming

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@routergeeks.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 18:00:32 EST

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 03:53:19PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On 22 Jan 2002, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>
> > Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com> writes:
> >
> > The big pain in such a situation is that padding generally won't do
> > what you want. An ISP will _generally_ localpref its customer routes
> > up so that they will beat out stuff that it hears from its peers,
> > regardless of how hard you pad the path.
>
> Our primary upstream is quite clued and helpful; the backup provider uses
> Verio, any thoughts on what the backup provider can do WRT Verio NOT
> munging things?

verio uses the IRR to build BGP filters. they also accept different bgp
communities. see http://info.us.bb.verio.net follow what's there and you
shouldn't have any problems.

> > Sometimes, it will be possible to put a community on that route so
> > that the upstream will localpref it as if heard from a peer, but still
> > re-announce it if that route is the best one heard from downstream.
> > Or you may be able to get a custom one-off configuration to do the
> > right thing.
>
> I hope so, it seems Verio is still small enough to be nice in that
> regard...

verio doesn't support custom bgp configurations. however, various bgp
communities are supported that should allow you do what you need.