Re: [nsp] basement multihoming

From: Charles Sprickman (spork@inch.com)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 15:53:19 EST

On 22 Jan 2002, Robert E. Seastrom wrote:

> Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com> writes:
>
> The big pain in such a situation is that padding generally won't do
> what you want. An ISP will _generally_ localpref its customer routes
> up so that they will beat out stuff that it hears from its peers,
> regardless of how hard you pad the path.

Our primary upstream is quite clued and helpful; the backup provider uses
Verio, any thoughts on what the backup provider can do WRT Verio NOT
munging things?

> Sometimes, it will be possible to put a community on that route so
> that the upstream will localpref it as if heard from a peer, but still
> re-announce it if that route is the best one heard from downstream.
> Or you may be able to get a custom one-off configuration to do the
> right thing.

I hope so, it seems Verio is still small enough to be nice in that
regard...

I guess some real-world tinkering will help answer these questions.

> You could always send default to each other via BGP; that way, if the
> session dies the default goes away (better than static).

Anyone else want to comment on this? How exactly do keepalives work on an
ethernet link if you've got a L2 device between two L3 endpoints?

Thanks,

Charles