Re: [nsp] Basic Routing Question

From: Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 15:04:15 EST

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 17, 2002 at 11:48:46AM -0500, Ken Reiss wrote:
> I have the ARP timeout on that interface of the GW router set to 900, so
> within 15 minutes it starts working. Without shortening the arp timeout
> to something ridiculous like 30, Is there a way for the AS to update the
> GW router with the new route, when the client comes into a different AS?

Don't route via ARP ("ip route <newclassC> eth0"). You need to use
a routing protocol like OSPF or EIGRP to make the GW router know where
the dialup IP is at a certain moment.

> Is this RIPv2? Or is there another/better way to do it?

RIPv2 would be sufficient for small networks, but OSPF/EIGRP are better.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de