[nsp] VLAN 1 support of DHCP

From: Tom Scott (telecomtom@dacor.net)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 10:46:39 EST

We are having a religious debate about the use of VLAN 1, specifically
about using it to support DHCP.

Our policy is to disable all ports on all switches. A port must be
enabled manually by CLI or by script to function. In a secured room (for
example the server/equipment room), we manually configured VLAN 1 on,
say, 4 ports. We tried unsuccessfully to get DHCP to assign IP addresses
(and default-router etc.) to endsystems on those ports. A preliminary
inspection of the config files on the switch and the DHCP srvr reveals
no obvious errors, causing us to wonder if the switch OS, by design,
does not support DHCP on VLAN 1.

-- TIA, TT