Re: Subnet Mask

From: Giuliano Cardozo Medalha (giuliano@usp.br)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 13:43:13 EST

>If this system analyst was *good*, there would not be any need to ask.

I am sorry but the question was sent to this list, and that good system
analyst answer to me from here.

I did not mean *good*, but the guy give me some attention and complete
answers and dont ask to me to read any BASIC book.

>> Nobody knows how the algorithm implemented by CISCO or Extreme or Juniper

>> works !!!

The CISCO CCNA material is very ... very good but it does not explain how
the router match ip on router table.

>If you want to see source code, look into the Linux or BSD kernel
>networking code. The basic stuff ("lookup of IP routes and masks")
>has to follow the same rules everywhere.

Now this is a good answer. I thank you.

I dont have much many experience with how hardware works inside and for this
I am asking for help on this list

I know the competence and experience of your stuff.

>Vendors have their optimizations, of course, making this lookup faster,
>adding caching, or implementing it in specialized hardware. But the
>basic principle is usually similar.

Thank you again

And sorry about *good*, I didnt want to bore nobody

I hope that I could still use the services of your big knowledge. It will be
very important for me

Giuliano