Subnet Mask

From: Giuliano Cardozo Medalha (giuliano@usp.br)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 19:34:50 EST

Hi,

Suposing a CISCO 2600 router with 2 interfaces (Serial ans Fast Ethernet)

On the serial interface I put 10 different gateway for subneted networks

On the fast ethernet I put 8 different gatewat foe subneted networks

when an IP package arrives on Fast Ethernet, how the router discover the net
part of this addrss.

What I mean ?

What subnetmask (of 18 possibles) the router uses to do a Logical operation
with the IP address to disciver the net part of the address ?

If it analyse all the masks of all gateways, the processor will blow down ?

If it uses the standart mask (A, B or C class) it will not route for
subneted address non-standat (like 255.255.255.128) !!!

Thank you a lot

Giuliano