Re: [nsp] CEF,FIB and ip routing cache

From: Stephen Sprunk (ssprunk@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 18:54:50 EST

Thus spake "Giuliano Cardozo Medalha" <giuliano@usp.br>
> Yesterday nigth a very good system analyst give me a lot of explanation
> about it.
>
> I dault that on Comer, or Tanembaum or IBM TCP/IP Red Book could
> give me some explanation about that

I was thinking more along the lines of:

True, it doesn't quite go into how the CPU/ASIC matches a packet against the
RIB/FIB, but that's a product-specific thing that is generally irrelevant.

> Nobody knows how the algorithm implemented by CISCO or Extreme
> or Juniper works !!!

I very much doubt that.

[ another email ]
> I posted a question about ip routing (hoe the router do the match)
>
> Various answers have came up
>
> I woul like to know what is CEF, FIB and routing cache and how its
> implemented ?
>
> Any documents about ip routing (ip match on router table) and CEF,
> FIB and router cache could help me.

This book has excellent explanations of how various Cisco products implement
all of the above: