Re: [nsp] Limiting bandwidth of P2P traffic

From: Dmitri Kalintsev (dek@hades.uz)
Date: Sun May 05 2002 - 19:43:29 EDT

On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 05:55:59PM +0200, Mark Pace Balzan wrote:
> from my experience rate limting by acess-lists on specific tcp ports, or
> nbar and policing which is abit buggy does the trick.
>
> i'd be interested to know what others are doing

rate-limiting, especially on lower speed interfaces (under 1Mbps) is surely
to cause a lot of grief to the sessions you're trying to limit. CAR simply
discards packets that exceed set limits (unless you're just marking them
with lower precedence), and when you're doing this to a relatively small
number of streams/sessions, will cause a lot of retransmissions, ultimately
leading to very inefficient use of your bandwidth (*and* it will make your
traffic profile very jerky).

You may want to do traffic-shaping (but it's much more CPU-intensive, so you
may want to try it out first somewhere quiet before deploying it into live
network).

---end quoted text---

SY,

--
 CCNP, CCDP (R&S)                          Dmitri E. Kalintsev
 CDPlayer@irc               Network Architect @ connect.com.au