Re: [nsp] Weird PPP problem with NM-8AM in 2610

From: Aaron Leonard (Aaron@Cisco.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:01:58 EDT

> > Wrong. V.34 supports speeds from 2400 bps through 33600 bps.

> I'm getting confused here. Maybe when falling back to lower speeds when
> the other end is also V34 and connecting at 28800 doesn't work; but I
> suppose not when talking to a V22bis modem, then it'll have to speak
> V22bis to it, right?

Right. If a V.34 modem is talking to a modem that supports V.22bis
(but nothing faster), then they would (ideally) train in V.22bis.
It is not required that a V.34 modem support V.22bis, but in practice
they all do.

In some cases, when you configure a modem that supports both
V.34 and V.22bis for operation at 2400 bps, it will choose
V.22bis; other such modems will choose V.34 in that case.

> > Aaron (who keeps a copy of V.34 on his desk) (admittedly buried rather deep)

> If the thickness of that documentation approaches anything like the
> average standards document from the same standards organisation, then
> I fear your desk if that document manages to be buried on it.

Actually, V.34 is only about 1/2" thick, but my desk is indeed
fearful-looking and has swamped many more daunting documents.

Cheers,

Aaron