Re: [nsp] Weird PPP problem with NM-8AM in 2610

From: Niels Bakker (niels=cisco-nsp@bakker.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 19:55:18 EDT

Hi,

* Aaron@Cisco.COM (Aaron Leonard) [Wed 12 Jun 2002, 01:11 CEST]:
>>> Wrong. V.34 supports speeds from 2400 bps through 33600 bps.
>> I'm getting confused here. Maybe when falling back to lower speeds when
>> the other end is also V34 and connecting at 28800 doesn't work; but I
>> suppose not when talking to a V22bis modem, then it'll have to speak
>> V22bis to it, right?
> Right. If a V.34 modem is talking to a modem that supports V.22bis
> (but nothing faster), then they would (ideally) train in V.22bis.
> It is not required that a V.34 modem support V.22bis, but in practice
> they all do.
>
> In some cases, when you configure a modem that supports both
> V.34 and V.22bis for operation at 2400 bps, it will choose
> V.22bis; other such modems will choose V.34 in that case.

Right. And from the logfile included by the original poster it's clear
the the handshake is at V22bis, so I'm not completely crazy here. :-)

Thanks for the clarification. In the future I think I should refrain
from reading mail while trying to reverse engineer some HTML pages...

Regards,

        -- Niels.

--
"I've been putting ``Create instantaneous people transporter'' on people's
 task lists forever, but I've yet to see any of them deliver results!