Re: [nsp] cabling between AUX port and CON port

From: Josh Duffek (jduffek@cisco.com)
Date: Fri Jul 05 2002 - 12:50:10 EDT

should be a rollover cable.

josh

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Wilde" <dwilde@aapt.com.au>
To: <odusseus@voila.fr>
Cc: <cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net>
Sent: Thursday, July 04, 2002 2:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nsp] cabling between AUX port and CON port

> Hi Christophe,
>
> Try putting config something like this on the aux port of your router:
>
> line aux 0
> modem InOut
> no exec
> transport input telnet
> escape-character BREAK
> stopbits 1
> flowcontrol hardware
>
> Do a 'show line' to see which line your AUX port is; add 2000 to this to
get the port to telnet to.

> David

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to do this:
>
> +------+ AUX port con port +--------+
> |router|-----------------------|catalyst|
> +------+ console cable +--------+
>

> The Cisco 6500 Catalyst has a console/auxiliary port via RJ-45 (female)
data terminal equipment (DTE) for local or remote connectivity.

> The Cisco 1750 Series router has a RJ-45 jack with RS232 interface (plug
compatible with Cisco 1000/1600/2500 series console ports); asynchronous
serial DTE; transmit/receive rates up to 115.2 kbps (default 9600 bps, not a
network data port); no hardware handshaking such as RTS/CTS.

> Then I checked the pinout of these interfaces described here

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/779/smbiz/service/knowledge/pinouts/ios_con
aux.htm

> >From this document,
www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/dial_c/xtoci
d850646 it appears that the auxiliary port does not use Ready to Send/Clear
to Send (RTS/CTS) handshaking for flow control.

> So we don't need to carry the signal on pin1 & pin8 from the AUX port.
>
> Therefore I imagined that I could interconnect this two ports via a rolle
over (console) cable.

> But it seems that I am wrong and I don't see why:
>
> >From the router I tried to get connected to the swicth via its aux port
and I got this where 10.0.0.1 is corresponding to its own interfaces:
> router# telnet 10.0.0.1 port 2000
> trying 10.0.0.1, 2000 ...
>
> % Connection refused by remote host
>
> I also tried different port 2001...2004, 4001...4004, with the same
result:connection refused by remost host.