[nsp] BGP table dumping

From: Edward Henigin (ed@staff.texas.net)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 19:38:34 EST

Hi all,

        I'm thinking about setting up a system that imports my
Cisco BGP tables into Mysql, to make it much easier to do analysis
/ projection work. I can easily write a perl script to wrap 'rsh
router show ip bgp' and parse the output and populate database
tables. My issue is updating the data. I don't want to do a full
dump every 10 minutes, due to router load and general kludginess.

        What I'm looking for is if there's a way I can cull
incremental changes to BGP tables. I was thinking I can set up a
zebra or GateD peer with my routers, but that doesn't give me full
BGP tables -- all it gives me are the best paths selected by my
routers. I want it all. Ideally (I know it's not reality) some
sort of bgp table update export facility, akin to the flow-export
functionality, would be what I want.

        Another idea would be to have my external peers peer with
a zebra or GateD instance, and then have my routers peer with that.
I am nervous about that due to reliability. I don't trust either
zebra or GateD for that level of required service. (Not yet anyway,
it sure looks like zebra will be able to do that -- if you've never
messed with zebra, go and grab it, it's fun as heck. www.zebra.org)

        Anyone ever deal with this before?

        Ed (always the question asker :)