Re: [nsp] Degraded tcp session performance

From: Neil J. McRae (neil@COLT.NET)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2000 - 03:30:13 EST

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:10:55 -0600
 Steve Pfister <srp336@optimum.com> wrote:

> My first thought on this, is that the remote server is doing a
> reverse lookup on the user's IP address for its logs, and is getting
> a timeout, after which the page is sent.
>
> Remote servers shouldn't have any problem that I can see in doing
> reverse lookups of our IP addresses. Is there any way I
> verify/troubleshoot this?
>
> Could this be a router configuration issue?

Possibly, first thing to check is that a show int | include drops
doesn't show any interfaces dropping packets because of
buffer/queuing issues. Then check all interfaces for errors / collisions.
A couple of Unix boxes and ttcp should be able to give you a testing
envirionment for tseting TCP connections upto around 200Mb/sec which
is good enough for a small network. More than that look at Smartbits.

Neil.

--
Neil J. McRae                             C O L T  I N T E R N E T
neil@COLT.NET