RE: [nsp] Multi-Homing without BGP

From: Martin, Christian (cmartin@gnilink.net)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2000 - 15:20:22 EDT

> It would be nice if cisco made it impossible to point static
> routes out multidestination interfaces. It should be very easy
> based upon cef adjencies, as that knows what is a point to point
> interface versus multipoint, etc..

I can think of a very useful application of proxy ARP on a large scale. It
has to do with managing thousands of next-hop adjacencies across consumer
access devices. Imagine 50 access devices capable of terminating 2-4000
users. Imagine managing personalized IPs in that environment. Then ask
yourself if you want to do this with a routing protocol or with proxy ARP.
Of course, the big drawback is the performance of dCEF under this scenario,
whereby the router now has 40,000 adjacencies to push around to all the
VIPs/LCs.

chris