Re: Policy routing

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Sat Oct 14 2000 - 00:36:45 EDT

On Fri, Oct 13, 2000 at 09:29:20PM -0700, Mark Milhollan - Franklin Employee wrote:
> Scott Whyte writes:
> >Policy routing overrides all IGPs. That's what its for. You can think of
> >it as glorified static routing, it has the same limitations as static
> >routes do (local to router, leads to black-holing, etc) but is not limited
> >to destination based forwarding. There is no way to redistribute a policy
> >route into an IGP.
>
> Yet you can redistribute static routes into an IGP. (Not that I'm
> saying it's a good thing, usually, just that it can be done.)

think of policy routing not as a route, but as a policy. :)

policy routing can't be redistributed into a routing protocol because
it has granularity that routing protocols don't, like source address,
protocol type, and all that other stuff you can match with an acl.
Never mind the fact that policy routing is locale-specific, and may
make less than no sense when somehow distributed to neighbors...

eric