Re: [nsp] Best DS1 mux for NM-1A-OC3?

From: nicholas harteau (nrh@ikami.com)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 18:44:46 EST

the math works out like this:
3x PA-MC-2T3+ == 6 channelized DS3s == 168 T1s
which is 3U for the 7206
another 6U is needed for the channel banks to mux the DS3s. Assuming
you have some rackspace to burn on patch panels and power supplies (I
mount them to the back rails in cabinets, with the power supplies below
the useful rail space), that's 168 T1s in 9U, or 18 T1s/U

with the PA-MC-8T approach you get
6x PA-MC-8T1 == 48 T1s
which is 3U and 3U only, which is 16 T1s/U

Not that bad. You have to weigh the management advantage of the higher
density box versus the added points of failure of the muxes. Also, I
would guess that with an NPE400, assuming you weren't doing sub-rate
ds1s you could fit more than 3 PA-MC-2T3s into a VXR safely.

one other note:

the former approach (to get 168 T1s)
VXR x1 = $17000
PA-MC-2T3+ x3 = $99000
CAC WB28 x6 = $18000
-------------------------
                  $134000 $797.61/T1

the latter approach: (to get 144 T1s)
VXR x3 = $51000
PA-MC-8T1 x18 = $208800
                  $259800 $1804.16/T1

making a little more sense now?
these are list prices, of course.

Also, I've gone the PA-MC-8T route, and it turns into a wiring
nightmare, let me tell you.

--
nicholas harteau
nrh@ikami.com