Re:[nsp] Cisco 6400....

From: rkuhljr@uol.com.br
Date: Tue Feb 13 2001 - 13:04:52 EST

>>Can I get some feedback on the Cisco 6400 doing PPPoE...good and bad. I
>heard BellSouth is yanking these things out and putting in somebody elses
>box...rumor. The NSP2 claims 16'000 PPPoE sessions per card. Has anybody
>got this in production or can make claims either way.

Dunno about PPPoE, but doing RFC-bridging it runs very badly, with 1000 maximum DSL users per NRP. Test by the same telco with PPPoA yelded the same results. The NSP is just an ATM switch, it will probably scale easily, the issue is the NRPs where sessions are terminated. May be a new NRP based on the processor used in NPE-400 is what they are talking about.

Let's hope Cisco starts moving DSL and dial-up aggregation to 10K, today targeted only at leased-line aggregation. In the meantime, 6400 is another product that I wouldn't put any money on; Redback, Cosine and Shasta all have better solutions to choose among them based on price/features balance. Redback is getting most of the new contracts I've known about.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.