Re: [nsp] Trying to make a lab from leftovers.

From: Spencer Garrett (srg@2alpha.net)
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 22:49:16 EDT

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Terry Yani wrote:

> I have some routers which are currently not in service, and I was hopeing to
> build a lab. I have a 2620, and it has no Network Module. I have been
> looking for the most cost effective way to get 2 Ethernet ports on this
> router. The best pricing seems to be for the NM-1E2W on ebay.com.
>
> Will a NM-1E2W work on a 2620 access router? The Cisco Site dox do not have
> it listed as a viable NM for the 2620, but can it be done?

It will not work. The router will report an "unknown network module" and
refuse to deal with it. I don't think there's any technical reason why
it couldn't work, but Cisco has chosen not to support that module in
the 2600 line.

> Any other suggestions for getting an extra ethernet port would be
> appreciated.

The NM-1E, NM-4E, and NM-1FE are all supported, or you can buy a
VLAN-capable switch and run ISL or 802.1q trunking between that
and the router. The latter choice would make more sense if you
just wanted to route packets, but since you're doing this for
lab use you'd probably be better off picking up another NM.
My guess is that an NM-1E would run about the same as an NM-1E2W
(but I hardly ever see them on eBay). The NM-4E and NM-1FE
will run you about $1000. For lab use I'd recommend the 4E -
speed won't really be an issue, you've already got 1 vlan-capable
port, and having 5 separate interfaces opens up many interesting
possibilities.

Then again, you could probably pick up an AGS+ with half a dozen
ethernets for less, and the software's not *that* far out of date,
yet. You could also get a 2514 for a bit less, and they do run
current software.

Spencer