[nsp] how counters get updated

From: George Boulescu (george@roedu.net)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 03:37:29 EDT

Hi.

I'am using a bunch of 75xx running IOS 12.0S and 12.1E series.
Every router has at least a VIP2-40 with FastSerial PA's or E3 PA's on it.

I have this strange problem : sometimes when issuing a 'show interface' on
an E3 interface for example, I get output that shows something like
38Mbits/sec input rate, anyway something bigger then 34Mbits/sec.

The encapsulation is HDLC. I have 'load-interval 30' on the interface.
I've noticed that the type of queueing doen't influence this problem.
Also, the input bytes counter is wrong too, if pooled at less than a
minute.

Acctually the problem is that I cannot get accurate line rate at short
intervals (not even 30 seconds) and this is very nasty.

If I pool the counters at 5 minutes, the output is somehow ok, because the
error is very small.

I belive that this is a VIP related problem. Probably the counters don't
get updated at a regular period of time.

Anyway, any ideas ?

--

George Boulescu Senior Network Engineer RoEduNet Bucharest NOC