Re: path protection in Cisco routers

From: Eric Osborne (eosborne@cisco.com)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 17:52:54 EDT

On Thu, Jun 21, 2001 at 07:46:47AM -0700, Krishna Doddapaneni wrote:
> Hi Eric,
> Thanks for your reply.
> If i configure path protection the way suggested by you.How would the
> ingress router or the head node be notified when a failure occurs in the
> path? Does it use PathERR message or uses special notifiaction message
> as specified by draft-chang-mpls-path-protection(A path/Restoration
> Mechanism for MPLS Networks)?

There's no special mechanisms just because you changed the autoroute
metric. The headend finds out via a PathERR (or IGP flood change, the
two race) that its path is no longer valid. What pre-establishing the
backup tunnel does for you is to save the time it would take to
re-calculate a new path if necessary (milliseconds, trivial) and
re-signal that path (RSVP, milliseconds to seconds, can be longer than
you'd like).

eric