RE: Nasty iBGP design issue...

From: Pegg Damon (Damon.Pegg@carrier1.com)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 05:04:50 EDT

Thanks Gert. This was already my plan but I was looking for anyone with
experience of an alternative to timer tweaking, since I couldn't find one
that worked effectively.

Netherless, its fantastic to get feedback from others who have used the
timers to this effect with success. Just to clarify for anyone else reading
the thread:

Timers (holdtime) can be adjusted from the default 180 seconds to any 32bit
integer other than 0, and it is recommended that the keepalives are
readjusted in keeping to be 1/6 of the holdtime.

Interestingly, I now have values for keepalive bandwidth and processing
overhead, for anyone who wants to take this road (I still don't have a
viable alternative):

The KEEPALIVE messages are quite short (19 octets), so we can use the
formula 19*8/k, where k is keepalive frequency; hence 5 second keepalives
and and 30 second holdtimer gives only 30bps i/o per neighbor. Processing,
according to Cisco, is negligible.

Damon.