Re: [nsp] Cat6K/OSR PFC2 not getting L2 info

From: Rubens Kuhl Jr. (rkuhljr@uol.com.br)
Date: Wed Jul 04 2001 - 04:27:17 EDT

>Are there any other problems you have
>found with the SUP2/PFC2 and/or MSFC2
>architecture? I've seen the architecture

There is the documented weirdness of not allowing each VLAN to have
interface a unique MAC, the MAC of the gateway is the global to all router
interfaces on SUP2. MSFC2 architecture is really good, much better than
MSFC1 and not just a faster processor; PFC2 has addressed the MLS
demand-driven issues of PFC1 by going topology-based (CEF) and have more
thinking on how to keep the MSFC safe, doing things such as the ARP
throttling.

We are investigating some ACL x Fragment handling issues but cannot say
right now that there are problems, just that there may be some.

>and it seems overcomplicated. "Life
>of a Packet" is probably the most
>complex methodology I've ever seen
>implemented (at least with Cisco).

When comparing just Ethernet routing, GSR full range of possibilities of
what can happen to a packet may be more or as complex than Cat6K/SUP2. What
is really strange is the way OSR do WAN routing, that's probably you are
talking about... but as they seem to add complexity serially on the life of
a packet and not by expanding the possible ways where packets go or are
changed, this would help in keeping it a dependable product.

>Does this bug affect SupIOS (Native)?

Not tested, but this would probably affect the SupIOS version that was
released at the same time as 6.2(2). If it also affects 6.1(x), probably
all SUP2-capable versions of Hybrid and SupIOS are affected.

>That's the direction Cisco is going
>with the OSR anyways, and it seems
>the logical choice (e.g. the EoMPLS beta
>showcase at SuperComm works on SupIOS).

As of today, OSM modules still requires Hybrid. SupIOS is the direction
Cisco is going with no ETA...

But as complexity goes, MPLS on OSR with Sup2 forwarding only Ethernet/IP
is a big hack on how to map LSPs to VLANs, tags to IPs, MPLS tables to
FIBs... sounds like making round air filters fit into square holes.

>Also if you know further details on
>the hardware/software besides what's
>already listed, I'd like to try to
>reproduce this in a lab.

Versions on that bug id were of non-released versions; we've come to this
running 12.1(7a)E1 and 6.2(2), but aside that everything is equal including
router configs.

Rubens Kuhl Jr.