Re: [nsp] Requesting comments on 7401 pricing

From: jlewis@lewis.org
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 00:13:32 EDT

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bill Woodcock wrote:

> > I was wondering if anyone has looked at the new 7401 and, if so, how do they
> > feel about the price in relation to power? The list on this thing is
> > $19,000 which seems high to me for a NPE 350, 128M ram, 2 100Mbit ports and
> > an empty PA slot.
>
> You're paying for density, not power per chassis. It's a great deal, and
> an incredibly well-spec'd box.

Is there really a market for this? I'm having trouble picturing someone
needing this much router power in that small a chassis. As for density,
the 7401 doesn't really have it. It's just compact. A 7206VXR is going
to provide more port density (6 PA slots in 3U vs. 1 PA slot in 1U).

 Jon Lewis *jlewis@lewis.org*|  I route
 Atlantic Net                |