RE: [nsp] Requesting comments on 7401 pricing

From: Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Mon Jul 09 2001 - 03:07:49 EDT

> > As far as I understand it, there are two options on the
>7400 series, one
> > with 2 10/100 ports or the other with 2 GigE ports. I
>don't think there is
> > a version with 4 ethernet interfaces.
>
>Looking at the price sheet, there's only one hardware config.
>Looking at
>the pictures in the installation guide, it has two GBICs and
>two FastEs.

on closer inspection, according to the "configuration" documentation, it
would appear that there's two distinct ethernet interfaces, capable of
10/100/1000 operation. You use either the RJ45 (copper) port for 10/100
(and 1000 over copper?), or the GBIC for 1000BaseX operation.

So your interfaces are gi0/0 and gi0/1, and when you want 100 operation on
the rj45 port, you use

int gi0/0
 media-type rj45
 speed 100
 duplex full

etc

still, i want one of these boxes for terminating an pos circuit :) (bit
cheaper than a 7206vxr/nse-1, which is good if all you need is one PA slot
for OC3-POS plus a GigE for the backhaul).

is there a definitive list of what PXF "speeds up"? (and breaks? :)

-afort