Re: [nsp] L2TP networks

From: Bill Woodcock (woody@zocalo.net)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 15:27:32 EDT

> Is it possible for L2TP tunneling go through and terminate at different AS ?
> Say, I'm in Hongkong and want to connect my branch at Singapore
> I dial in to LAC UUnet (AS 700) at Hongkong and terminate l2tp tunnel at
> Singapore using Singtel (AS 781).

Yes. The tunnel operates above the layer-3 routing, so the issue of
source, destination, and intervening ASes is transparent to it. However,
if the two ASes don't have relatively good connectivity between them, the
L2TP tunnel will inherit whatever bad properties the connection as a whole
has. This may be a surprise to users, if they believe the tunnel to be a
leased-line.

                                -Bill