[nsp] Cat5 RSM DRAM

From: Andrew Fort (afort@staff.webcentral.com.au)
Date: Mon Aug 06 2001 - 03:49:06 EDT

Hi NSP folks,
We're wanting to upgrade one of our Cat5500 RSMs from 64MB to 128MB to allow
us to take a full BGP view at least for a little while longer :). It
presently has 4x16MB SIMMs as shipped by the factory.

They're a OKI MSC23436D-60DS10 chip, which is a 36-bit module. I'm assuming
36bit indicates parity. The Cisco docs on upgrading the RSM memory:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat5000/cnfg_nts/rsm/78_
4592.htm#23916

Do not seem to indicate whether parity is required. The requirements listed
are: 60ns or faster, 1" or less tall.

Can anyone confirm whether parity RAM is necessary (If the box has a parity
error presumably it'll crash anyhow)? Or does anyone have the list of
3rd-party AVL entries for the MEM-RSM-128M= part so we can get some approved
32MB replacement SIMMs?

cheers
-afort