Re: [nsp] ATM OC12 on 6500?

From: Ian Cox (icox@cisco.com)
Date: Tue Aug 14 2001 - 10:04:49 EDT

At 09:12 AM 8/14/2001 -0400, Alex Rubenstein wrote:

>Interesting; I had someone tell me revently that each *side* of a FlexWAN
>is the equiv to a VIP4-80..

FlexWAN utilizes two R7K CPUs, one is dedicated to each port adapter and
they run independently of each other. The OC12c ATM PA is a dual wide port
adapter, and utilizes both PCI buses on a VIP, and it works because both
the PCI buses are controlled by a single CPU. On FlexWAN each PCI bus is
controlled independently of each other this is why it is not possible to
support double wide PAs.

What do you mean FlexWAN is based upon VIP2 like technology?

The packet switching path in no way resembles a VIP-xx anything. FlexWAN
utilizes the switching ASICs on the Supervisor (PFCx) to perform packet
forwarding and Security ACL functions. The R7k CPUs on FlexWAN are
primarily utilized to perform QoS functionality, and yes this code is to a
large extent common with the VIP-xx QoS code, along with the driver code
for the PAs, that is where the similarities end between FlexWAN and the VIP.

Ian