Re: [nsp] BGP additive communities

From: Philip Smith (pfs@cisco.com)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2001 - 00:37:39 EDT

At 22:15 16/08/2001 -0400, Tito wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Can someone please point me to a link on a case study of using community
>attribute
>for a large ISP/IXP? Real life examples, aside from RFC1997and RFC1998.

I've tried to document what I have seen people use in the ISP Workshop
Materials - check out the multihoming presentation at
http://www.cisco.com/public/cons/workshops/isp-workshop/bgp/ for some
examples... There is no real "definitive" guide as most ISPs do their own
thing internally, or agree on a certain community meaning between
themselves and their customers or peers.

Other places I'd look for use of communities is documentation included with
the AS Object in the various Routing Registries... For example, go to the
"remarks:" section of the output from "whois -h whois.ripe.net AS702". Or
have a look at "whois -h whois.connect.com.au AS2764" for another example
of community usage.

>What is the limit of community attribute when I tag my routes with the
>"additive" keyword?

It is 32 - just checked on 12.0(17)S.

> something like:
>
>mix_route-server>sh ip bgp 202.78.64.0
> 9670 6648
> 203.167.95.20 from 203.167.95.20 (203.167.95.20)
> Origin IGP, metric 100, localpref 100, valid, external, ref 2
> Community: 9670:6648 9670:1001
>
>which shows I have the route with two "colors" and policies applied.
>
>TIA
>
>./tito

philip