Re: [nsp] GSR LCs in stuck in FABL RUN state

From: Majdi S. Abbas (msa@samurai.sfo.dead-dog.com)
Date: Tue Aug 21 2001 - 04:18:59 EDT

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 03:45:16AM -0400, Martin, Christian wrote:
> Has anyone ever seen this? I just upgraded IOS on 4 12xxx. On the fourth,
> the router hung while writing the config upon reboot. I reloaded the router
> again, and noticed that some of the cards were in FABL RUN state for over a
> half hour. I had 'service upgrade all' and the hidden 'service download-fl'
> configured on all of them. So I removed these commands and reloaded again.
> Now, I cannot get anything across the MBUS. Show diag returns errors. And
> a show hardware displays this madness...
>
> WARNING: Old SCA found on CSC in slot 16
> Contact your technical support representative
> WARNING: Old SCA found on CSC in slot 17
> Contact your technical support representative
> RES-GTE-GSR2#
>
> I've never had any problems before with GSR upgrades. Any ideas?

        Let me guess, you upgraded to 12.0.16.6(S) or higher from 15S or
below (13.5S also seems to do this)?

        Almost every time we do that, the CSCs start 'dying' and we have
these problems. Cisco insists on having us RMA the CSCs, but it's just
as easy to fix this problem in software:

        test mbus power X off (x == slot)
        test mbus power X on.

        Bounce the cards until they come up, then do an
upgrade all slot X, and in config mode, microcode reload the card.
Sometimes they'll stick again, but just bounce them until they come
back up. After that they are usually okay.

        I have probably had to do this hundreds of times.

        --msa