Re: [nsp] GRE Tunneling for CLNP/LAPD

From: kevin graham (kgraham@dotnetdotcom.org)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 13:52:43 EDT

> Is GRE Tunneling for OSI CLNP/LAPD, through IP network, supported by
> Cisco Routers? If yes, how many such GRE Tunnels are supported
> simultaneously?

I've done CLNP GRE tunnels w/ OSI ISIS routing before without a problem,
not sure what the max is, though I would presume it would be the same as
any other GRE tunnel.. Keep in mind that you will need an Enterprise
feature set for the CLNP support.

> But, if Cisco Router has the capability to run IS-IS over CLNP GRE
> over IP, and run ES-IS over CLNP/LLC1 (LAN), then my box doesn't have
> to run OSI IS-IS/ES-IS Routing.

If I recall, the Cisco wasn't talking directly to ES's, instead there were
L2 routers w/ ethernet that were handling routing to ES's on the SONET
rings. ..not to imply it can't be done, just trying to relay what little
experience I've had with it.

Check CCO, as none of us working on this had ever gone near this stuff
before and were able to get things working nicely off of csco's docs.

..kg..